Friday, January 09, 2009

Giddy about DC

Ok. As you may have figured out by my lack of posting Wednesday, i didn't find anything to review.(editor's note: also...the links are going to be late...think like it's really friday morning. bear with us while we get the kinks worked out schedule-wise. thanks.) Sorry. So in return for your disappointment, i thought i'd flesh out more of what i'm thinking as regards my giant trip to our nation's capital. I just booked (and therefore cemented my first night in our nation's capital) a berth in a four bed coed room in a hostel (ooh...sleeping in the same room as ladies! ooh!) a couple of blocks from Union Station, where i will come galloping in upon(inside?) my shining Amtrak Crescent steed, and finally gain my first eye looks at my Democratic Mecca(complete with the whole infidel thing as irony) that i have gone 23 and a half long years without seeing. Okay...enough of me waxing Whipple-esque about DC.

The potential highlights of the trip:

Library of Congress tour(with my old friend Katie Vance in tow, who will randomly be in town at the same time as me) at 1:45pm Jan 15.

Capitol Tour(with my friend and Missouri native Sarah Haas) at 9:30am Jan 16.

Possible excursions with my friend Joanna Tillman to points north(Philly? NYC? Wilmington? Baltimore? I have no idea?) Jan 16-17.

Donald Miller at Georgetown University on Jan 18, from 4-5 pm

Kickoff Event at the Lincoln Memorial with President-Elect Barack Obama and Vice-President-Elect Joe Biden....(with special guest Bruce Springsteen) Jan 18, afternoon(i don't know the time of this...but if this runs at the same time as Donald Miller...screw him. I'm watching Bruce Motherf'ing Springsteen.

Martin Luther King Day in Washington, D.C.…I'm likely going to the National Holocaust Museum to celebrate(read: weep like a baby). Jan 19.

The Inauguration of The 44th President Of The United States, Barack Hussein Obama; Jan 20, 10am

Getting my party on; the evening of Jan 20.

Hitting The Smithsonian like a ton of bricks; Jan 21, all f'ing day.

Riding in a train ALL DAY LONG; Jan 22nd.

I'm pretty much scared out of my mind and hopeful that everything works out...but i'm taking my 20degree sleeping bag along with me just in case. Oh, and i'm really excited to be going where so much of our country's history was made...and to walk the halls and converse with the echos of the legions and multitudes of my forefathers who sculpted this nation(for good or for bad) into what she is today. Hope this makes up for no media review or links this week. Next week will likely be completely different as well, but thank you so much for reading and being flexible with my delusional, procrastinatory self.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
andyvandergriff.blogspot.com by Andrew Vandergriff is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.