Saturday, December 27, 2008

updates

I've been tinkering around with the layout of this thing for over an hour now, and i'm still not quite happy with it yet. However, that's not what i'm here to write about. I promised an update with me, and i'm fulfilling that promise.

Since I wrote an update, i went on full time at KARM (where i've now been employed for a year and a month...which is good for the longest that i have ever worked at a job) as a hospitality team leader, found a church home, and fell in love.

Okay, the last one is a lie. (Oh that it weren't, though.)

However, work is challenging as all get-out, and that made the imperative to find a church community all the more strong, as i could easily see myself getting beaten all to hell with the various stresses that are common to my job. Right now, i'm sitting in the shared Team Leader office working my sunday morning midnight to 8am shift with staff in each of our dorms(men's and women's), and me manning the lobby(there should be a staff member at the front desk...but apparently that's a luxury my bosses have yet to afford me in the past month). I still don't feel as if i've got my feet underneath me in this role, especially in the area of how much power i have when i'm on my shift(which is also kind of crazy for me to think about), and what needs to happen when the unthinkable should happen(cause, after all, i am responsible for somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 people on a nightly basis). Plus, i also have to stay up and alert all night, which can be difficult, even for a night owl like me.

But...that's the easy shift.

My hard shift is the 4pm to midnight shift that i work on tuesday and wednesday nights. From 4:30 pm to about 9pm, it's nearly non-stop movement. I'd like to find an athletic metaphor for the difference between the two...but i haven't yet. I'll probably be writing more about this shift in the future, so excuse the lack of a three paragraph breakdown of what happens on the shift in this space.

So that brings me to what was a rather anticlimactic end to the "Great Church Search of '08". Basically how it went was this: I pretty quickly took all the churches that i had been to before out of the weekly drawing in favor of not having my search last until March '09 (because, after all...it was the "Great Church Search of '08" not the "Great Church Search of '08-'09"...little difference...but it made all the difference, if you know what i mean). 

With the previously attended churches out of the way, that narrowed it down to Grace Community Church, Redeemer Presbyterian, Crossings Church, and Knoxville Life Church. I drew the names out of a hat, and that was the order they came out in. I'll write about each experience seperately, because the length is beginning to need the space of a full post about each.

(editor's note: the aforementioned posts have been dated a day after the visit: this places the posts in November, so if you scroll down, you'll see them. Thanks again for visiting.)

No comments:

Creative Commons License
andyvandergriff.blogspot.com by Andrew Vandergriff is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.